Saké Comments - Recent comic recomendations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recent comic recomendations
11-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Recent comic recomendations
Hey guys. I've been a little out of the loop with comics. I switched too just TBPs (or hardbacks) about two years back, and mainly I just order them on Amazon or whatever. So I've not been to a comic store for quite a while. I try to keep up to date, but I stopped reading reviews to try and avoid spoilers, as it usualy takes a while to get whole story archs.

I have Dark Reign, Seige, War (and Realm?) of Kings piled up waiting for me to get around to them. Other than that I get Walking Dead, Captain America, Guardians of the Gallaxy and Invincible in trade format. I've sort of lost touch with most of whats going on.

So is there anything you guys would recomend from the past two years or so?

[Image: steelimusprimesig-1.jpg]
My old sig from my battles with Galvy. I miss you old friend.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Re: Recent comic recomendations
Thunderbolts is quality. Warren Ellis' run is amazing. Andy Diggle's was a bit meh before Siege. The current run is a lot of fun too.

I'd also recommend Conan the Cimmerian (concluding this week with issue 25). A fantastic run through Conan's freebooter days.

Gotham City Sirens and any Paul Dini Batman is pretty damn amazing too.

I'm also really enjoying Avengers Academy and Secret Avengers. If you like Brubaker then I think you'd love Secret. Just Steve Rogers and co running around in a spy myrtery. Like Cap, I think it'll read far better in trade form than as individual issues.

If you like the DnA stuff, you should definitely check out Nova too.

[Image: hamstarcustoms2.jpg]
HamStar Customs - Mighty Muggs, Vinyl & More.
Not currently accepting commissions, will update when open for orders again.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-26-2010, 07:34 PM
If you're a fan of the movies, 28 Days Later is a good one. The first 12 issues have just came out in TPB.

I'm still buying my usual X-Men, Deadpool and Transformers stuff, but I look forward to the Walking Dead trades when they come out. Just annoys me about Volume 13 being pulled back so that they could print more of them.

Thunderbolts has been and on and off good read recently. The Shadowlands and Avengers Academy tie-ins recently were a bit of a wash-out, except for the small character developments in them.

If you like the characters the newest Taskmaster mini is good, and Deadpool MAX is the sorta extreme stuff that Deadpool really should be.

360 MiniCons and counting.
[Image: serious.jpg]
Click the pic to visit my site.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
11-26-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm going over old ground at the moment so picking up the likes of Green Arrow.

[center][Image: kinggrimlock1.jpg][/center]
11-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Phill Wrote:I'm still buying my usual X-Men, Deadpool and Transformers stuff, but I look forward to the Walking Dead trades when they come out. Just annoys me about Volume 13 being pulled back so that they could print more of them.

Vol 13 was out this week. I picked it up today. Smile

Quote:Thunderbolts has been and on and off good read recently. The Shadowlands and Avendgers Academy tie-ins recently were a bit of a wash-out, except for the small character developments in them.

I quite liked them and thought they were crossovers done right. Each to their own i guess.

[Image: hamstarcustoms2.jpg]
HamStar Customs - Mighty Muggs, Vinyl & More.
Not currently accepting commissions, will update when open for orders again.
11-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Vol 13 of Walking Dead was due out on the 4th of this month, but due to the increased orders on ealier volumes, they held it back to print more.

360 MiniCons and counting.
[Image: serious.jpg]
Click the pic to visit my site.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
12-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys I'll look out for some of those.

[Image: steelimusprimesig-1.jpg]
My old sig from my battles with Galvy. I miss you old friend.
12-19-2010, 10:47 AM
chew is a pretty good read at the mo and Halcyon looks like it could get interesting

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.