Saké Comments - How much have my coding projects over the last 10 years cost

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How much have my coding projects over the last 10 years cost
06-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Re: How much have my coding projects over the last 10 years cost
There are two of us that run the site though all of the coding and development is done by myself (Steve) as Dave doesn't know any of it *shakes fist*, I keep trying to get him to learn. So Dave tends to do the photographing and galleries.

We use to share news posts, but now it tends to be me or the site itself (I wrote several automated scripts to ease some of the administration, for example the trademark stuff is completely automated from checking for new entries, updating the status updates and posting the news). Syndicating news to Twitter and Facebook are also automated as is the In The News page.

I tend to look at a screen pretty much from half 7 in the morning through 10/11 at night with about 2 or 3 hours gap during the day.

Best work, hmm its a tough one.
Animated was the best one in terms of search engine optimisation and instance growth, it was getting over double the traffic of Transformers At The Moon within 1 month of the show airing and was the first site to have re-drawn graphics by us. We both suck with images which is why most of our sites don't use many.

I was quite proud of the Trans-Europe Express site as it was completely automated with news updates coming via a Yahoo Group mailing list that I sent the incoming mail into a PHP script to parse and validate it (several forms of validation to get around spam and spoofing) and update the site. It was also my first multi-language site.

Overall coding work is stuff I have done for my current employer that could spawn off background child processes and increased performance of one part of the system by about 6000%.

On a site overall side, probably the new version of Transformers At The Moon (under development) and maybe some of the version 7 code (we're not on version 8) as that had the members area.

The new one is much more stable, uses a lot less resources, is built from the base up to allow it to be distributed easier across multiple servers to spread the load. Its got some of our cleanest HTML and CSS, so either no or very few tables, a pure CSS drop-down menu navigation system, proper tagging, some nifty AJAX and client side caching to speed up a few bits and some other stuff you'll just have to wait for Tongue

It should, unless I get impatient, see the return of the members area to the website for more user-generated content.

The thing is when ever I start a new code base I always prefer that to the old one, then after 6 months or a year I end up hating it and wanting to start again. I've managed to keep pretty much one for 7/8 years though it has been heavily changed but it was really annoying me to the point that the reason the members area never returned after I broke it was I couldn't bring myself to re-do it in that style of coding.

My current job has taught me a lot more about writing applications and services for extreme amounts of traffic, so when I look at some of the older stuff I@ve done I cringe at the resources it using and the limitations it has.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Re: How much have my coding projects over the last 10 years cost - quartz - 06-08-2010 12:49 PM