Saké Comments - Auto Assembly 2010 where we will be, what we are doing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto Assembly 2010 where we will be, what we are doing
07-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Auto Assembly 2010 where we will be, what we are doing
Okay everyone just a quick round-up thread on our involvement in Auto Assembly this year, what we'll be doing for the event this year, where you can find us etc etc.

Our involvement
Over the last few Auto Assembly's its become a bit of a tradition for us to put on a toy display. This all started for two reasons. We found that we were buying less and less toys at the events as it became harder to find stuff we did not own, and we wanted a central point that was easy for us to meet up with people that we new as well as other site visitors. Well this year our involvement is much more "official". As well as putting on the toy display, we are re-hiring the cabinets that we hired last year we were also invited to join the organising committee for Auto Assembly and since this may well be our last year putting on a display, its the 10th Anniversary of Auto Assembly, it falls between the 10th and 11th Anniversary of Transformers At The Moon and May 20th was the 3rd anniversary of TransformersAnimated.com we (well I did at least, Dave wasnt around to say no) decided to commemorate all of these things by offering pay to bring over a guest.

AA has a tradition of being strong with comic book guests, much like Transforce was, but also for bringing over 1 and now 2 voice actors. Well we wanted something different, something a little more up-to-date and relevant and so, being big fans of Transformers Animated, we approached Derrick J Wyatt about an appearance at the event. After initial talks I discussed it with Simon Plumbe and got the go ahead that if I bought him over they would only be too happy to include him as one of the guest of honours.

Well over the last few weeks AA had Next of Kin pull out, which meant that there was some of their budget left as well as a hotel room. Having read how interesting Jim Sorenson was in the AA (he's provided some bits for the charity auction), I approached him about attending the event. We got talking and it was decided that it would be great to try to bring both himself and his partner in crime Bill Forster over to the UK. Though Jim often gets most of the credit for the Allspark Almanac's Bill pretty much wrote the damn things. After some initial problems for Bill I managed to get confirmation that he could come (Jim already confirmed and his flights have been booked). Bill's flights are all but booked as well and the AA crew will be funding their hotel for the pair of them where as I am paying for the flights.

So as you can probably guess its costing me a fair amount of money and I will say now do not expect this every year. This is money I will never get back so its a one off celebration.

Originally we were not going to hire the cabinets for the toy display as frankly I've spent enough, but Dave is going to pay for those so we will have them which, I think you'll all agree, makes the toy display area look much more professional.

I am also going to be paying for two roller banners to be made up (artwork allowing) one of which (TransformersAnimated.com) will be by the guests, the other (Transformers At The Moon) will be by the toy cabinets. Hopefully they will turn out as nice as they looked on paper. The Animated one will certainly go ahead, the Transformers At The Moon one needs work on the art.

Where will we be
The toy display will be in the same area as last year, right up front by the stage on the right hand side. Kapow will not be next to us this year (a shame as it was nice to talk to the guys) but instead other convention displays will be around. So we'll be very easy to find, though I hope we can wander around more this time and get some of the AA helpers to watch the display for us.

Why do we not have a board meet booked in
As you may have noticed, Moonbase2, TFW2005 and The Transformers.net all have time booked into the alternative AA schedule for a get together. We haven't asked for one as we do not know how many people from the boards will be going and frankly it will probably conflict with something going on in the main room. Now we can ask for time if people like but we are more likely just going to have a non-official one sometime during the day or in the evening after Garry does his thing.

AA Quiz
We have not looked into getting a quiz team together for Auto Assembly. Two reason why. I expect most of you can't be bothered and/or will be representing other communities anyway. If anyone would like to do one on behalf of Transformers At The Moon, please feel free to let us know and we'll start pushing a thread where you can organise some members. We've not read the comics enough over the last 7 years to really have much luck in the quizzes plus I did not agree with some of the answers last year that they were giving.

Transformers At The Moon T-shirts
Normally we would be wearing Transformers At The Moon themed T-shirts to any Transformers convention, however this year AA want all the staff to wear an official shirt so that people know who is /isn't involved. What this means is that we will look even more alike than normal lol.

Now we may have some Transformers At The Moon t-shirts for the event as I am currently (amongst many other projects) getting the website logo re-done. Hopefully the logo will be finalised within the next week to 10 days and if it is we may throw up some CafePress shirts if people want them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Re: Auto Assembly 2010 where we will be, what we are doing
Good news.
No idea what i'll be wearing, but it'll be decidedly unofficial. Wink
No doubt peeps will be able to spot me hanging around with the Moonies, my hilarious sidekick, GD and other TF@TM Classics.

Seriously though, i'm really looking forward to the event, and thanks to the Mapes boys for going to so much effort to contribute towards AA.

[Image: hamstarcustoms2.jpg]
HamStar Customs - Mighty Muggs, Vinyl & More.
Not currently accepting commissions, will update when open for orders again.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply