Saké Comments - Daily Record reports backlash over Transformers Power Core Combiner name

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Daily Record reports backlash over Transformers Power Core Combiner name
11-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Daily Record reports backlash over Transformers Power Core Combiner name
Please use this thread to discuss the Daily Record reports backlash over Transformers Power Core Combiner name news story on the main site.

Scottish Newspaper The Daily Record has posted an article about the backlash caused by the recent announcement of a name of an upcoming Power Core Combiner figure.  The figure called Spastic has caused backlash from UK based fans due to the derogatory and offensive meaning often used with the name that was originally used to describe someone with spastic paralysis.
This isn't the first time a Transformers name has caused trouble within the UK. In the past Slapper, Erector and, most thought off, Slag  have all lead to debates.  Hasbro were actually so concerned over the name Slag that they changed the Transformers Animated character from Slag to Snarl just because of the UK market (as confirmed by Derrick J Wyatt at Auto Assembly 2010).
UK fans need not fear that much though, the chances of the figure being released over here is slim anyway.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Re: Daily Record reports backlash over Transformers Power Core C
I think this is a bit counter productive. I'd much rather that kids associated these words with toys than with insulting people. If a child is put off by a toy because it's called slag, then frankly you've been raising your child wrong for them to know the slang meaning of the word. if you want rid of the negative connotations of a word, you have to replace them with other things. I'd much rather kids thought of spastic as the cool name of their robot toy than as a word to use to upset that kid no-one likes.

[Image: tlasignature.jpg]
11-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Re: Daily Record reports backlash over Transformers Power Core C
I like the way that the article says UK Transformers fans... I think most of the more mature TF fans really aren't fussed and in fact probably find it funny. I do, to be honest I now want the figure as a result simply for the comedy value, despite already having Leadfoot, and a personal rule against buying repaints.

I think the issue is the politically correct parents of the younger TF fans, "Oh no I cant let my little *** have a toy called that...". That combined with the media just looking for things to bitch about.

It says Animated Snarl got called that cos of us, if that was the case why did they even put a line in the series to say he didn't like Slag?

We know he was Slag, TF cartoons/comics have used the word for years even as an insult (See Beast Wars) and no-one cared about the word being offensive to anyone. We would have much rather they gave him his proper name.

Yes I do admit that Hasbro should exercise half a brain about naming stuff, lets face it Erector was dubious worldwide, not just in the UK as the article seems to say, especially as they know they have a worldwide target customer base. I think the problem is other language versions often get renamed to match the meaning, but with the UK they just tend to assume that as we speak the same language (well we use the proper version of it lol) they can just leave them without checking into local slang or cultural references. But at the end of the day people need to learn not to take offence if none is intended.

All that will happen now as that Hasbro UK wont import that figure wave and we'll miss out AGAIN.

"Unyielding resolve has no conqueror."
[Image: Omegastoopreme.png]