Saké Comments - Masterpiece Rodimus \ Hot Rod

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Masterpiece Rodimus \ Hot Rod
02-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Masterpiece Rodimus \ Hot Rod
So what do you guys think, anyone else got him?

I am personally loving the mold despite annoying QC (One of his side leg panels fell off by touching it and needs to be glued back on)

Apart from that it is amazing!

[Image: bsig20111.jpg]
Fact: Brawn isn't dead he's just been stamping on scalpers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Re: Masterpiece Rodimus \ Hot Rod
I'm waiting for the hasbro version; I almost pre-ordered Rodimus as a birthday present but ended up getting Grimlock instead. From what I've seen so far I'm kinda glad I did. At least if the hasbro one has problems I can just take it back to the shop. That and the fact that I'm not a massive fan of the RV mode; it's a bit too abstract for my taste.

[Image: tlasignature.jpg]
02-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Brawn Wrote:So what do you guys think, anyone else got him?

I am personally loving the mold despite annoying QC (One of his side leg panels fell off by touching it and needs to be glued back on)

Apart from that it is amazing!

For the price there are asking QC shouldn't even remotely be an issue. That and the 'I can't hold my guns' syndrome make it a big no no for me.
02-07-2011, 07:57 PM
I have it on good authority from someone who has a similar taste in toys to me, that it's a really shoddy piece, full of leftovers of ideas that never got completed and various QC problems across multiple figures. That and the trailer is the best thing in it.

[center][Image: kinggrimlock1.jpg][/center]
02-07-2011, 09:39 PM
KingGrimlock Wrote:That and the trailer is the best thing in it.

Quoted for truth.

It could have been an awesome piece, but sadly I think they've just delivered a flimsy and poorly made toy. That would be bad enough, but at the high price point it is unforgiveable.

I do think MP Grimlock set the bar high and perhaps 'spoiled' us. Rodimus just doesn't come close.

[Image: hamstarcustoms2.jpg]
HamStar Customs - Mighty Muggs, Vinyl & More.
Not currently accepting commissions, will update when open for orders again.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2011, 10:17 PM
The fact that they put the price up around a week prior to launch was fairly unforgivable to.

[center][Image: kinggrimlock1.jpg][/center]
02-08-2011, 10:19 AM
minion Wrote:I do think MP Grimlock set the bar high and perhaps 'spoiled' us. Rodimus just doesn't come close.

Funny thing is - MP-08 isn't even complex! When you think about it, aside from some fidgeting with his legs, he does have a very simplistic transformation. Goes to show that the K.I.S.S. principle is very true Smile
02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
No love then! Hahaha

I honestly do think he is a great display piece, as good as any of the other MPs.
I love having him in Rodimus vehicle mode, it makes me drool.

The Transformation can be frustrating, the ankle\foot alignment is finnicky and the roof slide can be annoying, but after a few times it is just as easy as Megs.
I agree with the QC issues though, I really shouldn't have had to file off paint to fit the wing in, or have a broken leg flap to contend with out of the box.

[Image: bsig20111.jpg]
Fact: Brawn isn't dead he's just been stamping on scalpers.
02-08-2011, 08:01 PM
I've been waiting for him for ages and had an absolute nerdgasm upon opening the box, still think he is an awesome peice, however, yeah i do agree that the build quality caused me a moment of concern. To be fair I have him next to Grimlock and together (in robot mode they look great) however the lack of gun holding ability annoys me a little but then again i've gone for the 'arm cannons' pose anyway so it looks pretty cool Smile . Honest advice would however be unless your a proper nerd for ol' Rod (like me) and want the whole trailer and all experience, wait for the Hasbro release as I think they might Iron out the kinks that takara have left in. overall, on the surface an awesome display piece marred by some annoying (and rather basic) niggles that detract slightly from the greatness of the piece. a 7 out of 10 to MP Grimlock's 10 out of 10

Big Grin

Prime! Look I'm HELPING!!! OW! how does a robot get choked in a headlock?!?!?! whoa...Prime....theres a huge hole in your chest....oops...
02-14-2011, 02:25 AM
Oh I want!

[Image: Soldierx01.png]
02-14-2011, 08:54 AM
I vought ours in Japan but I have not transformed him yet going to do that tonight. So far I have seen none of the QC issues that people have reported and am actually impressed by what I have seen, he looks exactly as I would have expected him to have looked down to the scale but I will see after tonight
02-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Transformed mine and photographed it this evening and all I can say is "What QC issues?"

Mine is fantastic! The toy is made from much better quality materials than Masterpiece Megatron and all of the Starscream MP figures. He's up their with Grimlock and Prime. Prime is high because of the quality, but Grimlock looked better. He was too small IMO especially in robot mode where as Hot Rod / Rodimus is the right dimensions for the character model. He's marked down because of the character, but as a toy he's amazing.

Mine has no defects, no dodgy hands, only one part wont clip together properly as its too stiff. He transformed perfectly first time, could hold both his guns and his gun combined without any trouble both at an angle and directly out in front of him.

He has a much better weight that Starscream and Grimlock.

Did everyone here get the Hong Kong release who has issues?

I actually really like the gimmicks, they are simple and yet add a lot to the toy in terms of movie-related poses. The Matrix is a little on the small side, which is my only complaint with the gimmicks.
02-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Having now actually purchased him (just had him for a brief time before) and had more time to have a play I thought i'd add some more thoughts.

The Good
Really captures the character in every form.
The reversible head function is nice and done in a much smoother fashion than the seekers.
I love the car mode and the camper van mode. They look like they leapt right off the movie screen.
The combining gun is the coolest thing ever.
Great accessories like the welding hand, saw blade, matrix, twin guns, etc.
The gun platform is just amazing and the best update of a base section i've seen on a toy in ages.
The truck cab having a different transformation rather than just slotting the car in is a great idea.
It's perhaps one of the only TF toys (excluding MP Grimlock) where I am seriously struggling to decide on what mode to display it in.
Displays really nicely and you can get some cool poses out of him.
Great scale for Grimlock and the seekers.

The Bad
Small Matrix - especially since the Matrix on the back of the box looks bigger. I realise it has to be small to fit, but it is damned small!
Still flimsy. Definitely the flimsiest MP to date in my opinion. Megatron and the jets are sturdier and transform far more easily.
Shame we don't have a Rodimus to scale with the MP Optimus. Sad

The Ugly
The paint wear on the fin where it is very tight fitting it into the trailer for the camper van mode just sucks. I don't feel they handled this insertion point well.
Can't hold his guns properly/at all.

For me the good far outweigh any negative points on this toy. There are problems, more than you might find on a lot of toys, and certainaly more than I am used to finding on a toy at this price point. The end result is that I still get to own a stunning Transformers piece though, and am glad to have him in my collection.

[Image: hamstarcustoms2.jpg]
HamStar Customs - Mighty Muggs, Vinyl & More.
Not currently accepting commissions, will update when open for orders again.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user