Saké Comments - Sleep problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sleep problems
11-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Sleep problems
I've had bother with sleep on and off over the past few years. Mainly its just that I have real problems switching off at night. I've never been one of those people who can sleep anywhere or drift off as soon as my head hits the pillow. Noooo I have too lay there for a good half hour (on a good night) before I can finaly sleep. Sometimes I wake up every hour. Alot of the time I wake up and wonder where I am.

I wish I could blame my children but I've always been like this... and thankfully they havn't inherited it from me. Instead they are like their mom and dead to the world the second they are in bed... AND I HATE THEM! They get like eight hours plus before I have too drag them out of bed.

I never fall asleep when I dont mean too. I supose the plus side of that is I'm unlikely to fall asleep driving or something.

Now I've tried lots of stuff too help me, but to be honist I seem to be too stubourn. I tried sleeping tablets but all I do it fight them off and then get no sleep because I refuse to be drugged. I know thats stupid.

I got a bit better in recent years, able to get around seven hours sleep (a miricle for a parent) with some planning... like going to bed earlier and doing my best to relax.

Anyway after thinking I'm ok finaly I wasn't expecting this little gem of sleepy wonder. Sleep paralysis. So I wake up certain that I heard a creepy little croaky voice behind my head saying "Hello" and sudenly there is a sharp pain in my spine. Now I'm utterly alone in the house, having a weekend to myself. I know this so all I feel is a weird overwhelming terror. Now I'm someone who used to jump out of planes for a hobby, I've been mugged by people with knifes, I work as a paramedic and have seen some pretty horrific things. Even as a kid my parents thought I was werid as I didn't get scared. I dont actualy think being "fearless" is a good thing. Its made me do really stupid things. I've never felt fear for myself untill that moment. My mind started racing to all sorts of irational conclusions. I was lying on my side so I tried to flip over to face this "Thing". However as hard as I tried I couldn't move (hence the obvious paralysis part). I saw a strange sort of blur of my leg raising and arm raising up as if I were moving but then it would vanish and I'd be exactly in the same position. So I tried again, still with this pain in my back and the feel of this precence behind me. This went on for what felt like about five minutes of me struggling too move, seeing a weird after effect and then being right where I was before. Finaly I flipped over and obviously there was nothing there. I felt my back, nothing there ether. I'm dreanched with sweat and my heart is racing. So I get angry. I get up and stalk around the house. Once I'm sure I am alone I turn to the internet too prove too myself that I'm just crazy.

Unsuprisingly it turns out to be a documented condition. People suspect this is where the idea for alien abduction and demon visitation came from.

Also it turns out that there are two types of expiriences. Terror or Euphoria... Lucky me I get the intence terror.

Now I can rationalise it in my head I recon I'll be ok. Although I think that everyone is a bit stupid when they first wake up.

[Image: steelimusprimesig-1.jpg]
My old sig from my battles with Galvy. I miss you old friend.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Re: Sleep problems
I've had it happen once and it scared the bejeeebus out of me.
You cant move, you cant make a sound and as you are waking up you have no idea why...

Never happened to me since thank primus... not nice!

Strangely I find I sleep better if I am planning/thinking about stuff - dunno if that helps?

Wraithchild666 reborn
I used to be normal like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee..
11-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Smellyferret Wrote:Strangely I find I sleep better if I am planning/thinking about stuff - dunno if that helps?

Yeah I actualy thought that was maybe my problem. Too much thought going on. If I plan stuff I want too do it. So I create storys and role play in my head. Dosn't work ether.

Still its intresting that I'm not the only one to have had an episode of sleep paralysis. It really is horrible. Might not have minded the nice version though.

11-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah... used to get it a lot when I was a snapper - thankfully not since school.

I go through lists, poems and monologues as a habit before I go to bed. Tell myself I can't sleep unless I can recite stuff in my head. Usually find that that gives me some closure on my day, then I feel like I've achieved something, and I can sleep the sleep of the contented and justified...

Hamlets 'To be or not to be' works a treat.

[Image: newstreakersig11.jpg]
11-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Hmmm there may be something in that. I mean while I do feel more content and fulfilled recently maybe I need to work on a psychological trigger to end the day.

Physical exhaustion dosn't seem to work. Nether does other...umm... night activitys. Oddly its the missus who's out like a light after that.

11-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Dude you've just scared the crap out of me, just reading that! Never had anything like that, that I can remember.

[center][Image: kinggrimlock1.jpg][/center]
11-26-2010, 07:52 AM
Count yourself lucky then KG. Wasn't nice, woulnd't wish it on anyone.

I actualy slept well last night. I think now I've rationalised it in my head I wont suffer from it anymore.
11-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Good thing then man, and good advice to others.

11-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Well thats my excuse anyway... the real reason is that I sent the Sleep Goblin around too your place. Wink

11-26-2010, 03:46 PM
If I catch it do I get a pot of gold? It's the same for goblins as leprechauns isn't it?

11-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah sure... may not be gold but its a pot of something I'm sure. Might be baby stew.

11-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Lucky charms!

The Leprechauns are getting a bail out from Europe at the mo...

Too busy to be messing with you in your sleep...

11-26-2010, 11:21 PM
i cant seem to drop off untill ive had a few bevvies. suppose 15 years of excess does take its toll. :oops:
im sure there are herbal remedies to help with sleep . maybe try some of that.

[Image: images-1.jpg]

IM NOT MAD, IM LOVEABLE!!
11-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I've had trouble sleeping for most of the year, at first I liked it in with the trouble with my eyes and dehydration then it became overtiredness form not sleeping and now its just normal. My problem is I find it really hard to switch off so I am always thinking of things and (work mainly, then home projects, then other non-work/non-computer things) that keep me from actually sleeping.

Its starting to affect me big time of late but I have started to get a couple of hours sleep a night so hopefully it will increase and I can get back to normality.

I work with someone who has sleep apnea so I know a reasonable amount about what can happen if you don't get a good sleep. Personally I don't go to the docs unless I absolutely need to like when i was coughing up blood or after 6 months of having extremely painful feet and ankles with a big lump on it but i don't suggest these to others and if you do have continual sleep issues its best to consult someone in case its something medical causing it.
11-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I measure my days with tiny victories.

Give yourself a victory before you go to sleep and you will always sleep the sleep of the just.

Set yourself an achievable goal, hit that goal, feel smug, brush your teeth - go to sleep.