Saké Comments - The current franchise - everyone's opinions wanted!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The current franchise - everyone's opinions wanted!
10-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Re: The current franchise - everyone's opinions wanted!
KingGrimlock Wrote:See stories are just that, stories and if you believe the guff over at TFW about the situation, then your opinion is always going to be clouded. FMH was never founded to be a run off site for TFW, it was set up as a furthering of the old Moonbase 2 forums as a new home for the podcasts and to be a catch all site for UK fans. Yeah, we've got the lowlives who have managed to get banned from TFW but they've pretty much gone and got themselves banned from FMH to. Don't believe everything you read Ally.

You get it everywhere at first - and if allowed to build it becomes unbearable and ultimately self-destructive.

It's one of the reasons, I think, that this place is sooo quiet. The Mods are very good at purging agitators and troublemakers... and that's what most of the community is at the moment, and that's pretty much all we have to talk about. You'll notice that this thread is only moving because we're talking about 'negative aspects'. That's all people feel enthused to talk about these days. HiSStank is the same, which is why I rarely post over there - just the Hurt N Heal games and the positive threads about the new product (of which there is a lot at the mo! The Joe buzz around product - both good and bad - is vry high at the moment, and I think that's tied to the quality and frequency of new product, and it's direct correlation to the 25th and 30th anniversary ranges).

In the words of the prophet; 'Hater's gonna hate...'

Phill Wrote:To be honest the situation between TFW2005 AND FMH left my opinion of the Trans-fandom as a whole very clouded.

I like it here, so what if we're not the biggest or best, we've got a decent number of good people here.

Phill

Well said Phill. TF@TM has a very British feel to it, all very reasonable and without much of the drama that occurs elsewhere.

[Image: newstreakersig11.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Anyway, I like how the toyline currently is. Enough to sellect from, and too much to keep my completionist side at bay.

The thing I like most is the mixing and matching that Hasbro seem to be doing by putting Multi-universe figures in each lineup. RotF Bludgeon and Lockdown, and most of the Reveal the Shield line for example.

I'm looking forward to the Prime Toyline, just hope that it isn't another damp sqib like Animated turned out to be.

360 MiniCons and counting.
[Image: serious.jpg]
Click the pic to visit my site.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I've recently decided that I'm going to avoid hating on stuff for the rest of my life because I end up loving it instead. Transformers is a very good example. :lol:.

Personally I'm not as compulsive about buying transformers as I was when I started (hence why most of what I have is now stuff from the first transformers film and knock offs that I don't even know!). I've now started buying things that I really feel I'd appreciated for longer than just immediate gratification (I leave that to Lego Hero factory Wink ).

Personally I can't wait for the TF: Prime figures to come out! The cartoon has been keeping me on the edge of my seat every episode and I'd love to have some of the characters.

[Image: highram1copy-1.png]
10-29-2011, 06:17 PM
KingGrimlock Wrote:See stories are just that, stories and if you believe the guff over at TFW about the situation, then your opinion is always going to be clouded. FMH was never founded to be a run off site for TFW, it was set up as a furthering of the old Moonbase 2 forums as a new home for the podcasts and to be a catch all site for UK fans. Yeah, we've got the lowlives who have managed to get banned from TFW but they've pretty much gone and got themselves banned from FMH to. Don't believe everything you read Ally.

I'm not saying that FMH has done anything wrong, I was simply pointing out that the existance of friction between it and TFW means that FMH inevitably draws those who didn't like TFW, on principle. This is something I extrapolated from nothing more than reading the official announcements on both sites, as best as I could find them, and not something I picked up from members of one or the other site. I apologise for making that post, it wasn't one of my best, all it did was take us off topic.

[Image: tlasignature.jpg]
10-30-2011, 08:36 AM
I like the way that on this board you can post up whatever you like about TF's and its pretty much accepted!

I've always been a G1 fan and of that weird variants/rare stuff is what I collect, on previous boards I'd have comments about getting more modern stuff or 'its not complete' which annoyed me as I never made any pretentions about my collection, its what i like / can afford!

Wraithchild666 reborn
I used to be normal like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee..
10-30-2011, 11:09 AM
As I see it FMH just went through some growing pains as some of the people that hate TFW just went there to rant which was a shame as that site was not about that as KG rightly said.

Things here are really quiet I really want to get this site back on track with some more interaction, content etc and its something that I am going to try very hard to do.

I suppose my work keeping me extremely busy has meant that since I hardly post anywhere these days I've missed a lot of the moaning on different forums, which is a good thing, but its also meant that I have not been interacting with the people and friends I have made over the last 12 years and trying to make new ones, which is a shame.

In terms of the TF franchise its actually in thhe strongest position it has been for a long long time or maybe even ever purely down to the diversity of fans these days. But with diversity comes conflict, which it really shouldn't but it tends to.

I'm still not really into the movie figures. I like some of the styling but i've ignored most of the lines. I enjoyed Prime and am looking forward to some of the figures but recently I have been getting back into G.I-Joe in a big way.

Next year will be a BIG year for me. Hopefully my new house will be sorted by then and I can finally display the entire collection of all of the toys that I have. I can get more updates onto this site, get The Visionaries one back up, completed and live and then get onto two additional projects that hopefully will allow more people to be involved.

I am also personally involved with both Roll Out Roll Call 2011 and Auto Assembly 2011 as I want to see the UK and European fanbases for both Transformers and G.I-Joe / Action Force grow, become united and stronger. For RORC3 I am sponsoring the event to help bring some guests to the show (including help fund Larry Hama), I should be providing some material for for G.I-Joe panels and I am considering the offer of running a panel myself on some Transformers themes.

For Auto Assembly my involvement will very much be determined closer to the day, other than putting on another Toy Display.

So, much like Sunstreaker, I'm trying to remain focuses on the positives. Collecting should be fun and yesterday at the London Expo, looking around, catching up with some friends (Mirage, Devil Soundwave, 3 Darths, Toys and Games, All The Cool Stuff) and buying He-Man and G.I-Joe toys, I left the event feeling the happiest I only seem to feel these days when meeting up with fellow fans which has only really happened at Auto Assembly and the general TF meet the other month.
10-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Quartz Wrote:I'm still not really into the movie figures. I like some of the styling but i've ignored most of the lines. I enjoyed Prime and am looking forward to some of the figures but recently I have been getting back into G.I-Joe in a big way.

I am also personally involved with both Roll Out Roll Call 2011 and Auto Assembly 2011 as I want to see the UK and European fanbases for both Transformers and G.I-Joe / Action Force grow, become united and stronger. For RORC3 I am sponsoring the event to help bring some guests to the show (including help fund Larry Hama), I should be providing some material for for G.I-Joe panels and I am considering the offer of running a panel myself on some Transformers themes.

So, much like Sunstreaker, I'm trying to remain focuses on the positives. Collecting should be fun and yesterday at the London Expo, looking around, catching up with some friends (Mirage, Devil Soundwave, 3 Darths, Toys and Games, All The Cool Stuff) and buying He-Man and G.I-Joe toys, I left the event feeling the happiest I only seem to feel these days when meeting up with fellow fans which has only really happened at Auto Assembly and the general TF meet the other month.

Sounds good to me funkster! There's a real nostalgia buzz with Joe again at the mo - I've said it before and I'll say it again - anyway I can help with the Joe-stuff - be more involved in helping organise/co-ordinate Joe in the UK gimme a shout.

Whatever happened to the ol' Smiley stories? Does the Moon still have a bank of Smileys stored somewhere?

10-31-2011, 04:24 PM
thelastallosaur Wrote:I'm not saying that FMH has done anything wrong, I was simply pointing out that the existance of friction between it and TFW means that FMH inevitably draws those who didn't like TFW, on principle.

You know I'm a mod on both sites and KG will stand testament to my frustration at how the whole thing was handled by both sides of that quite ridiculous outing, luckily at the time I wasn't a supermod over there or there would have been a few more bannings as everyone here knows my tolerance levels for cretins is not particularly high.

it's all calmed down now and the site is a much happier place, I still come here but with my attention away from TF's and more onto Joes I have an outlet there where I can enjoy the stuff I collect a bit more.

I also went there as a personal favour to Andy as he is an all round top guy (as the twins will no doubt agree) and he wanted me to run the Joe board

I've not abandoned here at all, still log in most days but theres sod all moderating to be done, and very little discussion that I feel able to comment on, like Streaker said, when the Joe stuff kicks off then I'll be all over it.

I just don't have much to talk about on here, but it's home, and it always will be.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
10-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Well said Ghosty!

Joe is definately the way of the future though... There is definately a problem with accessing the 'soul' of TF stuff at the moment. Joe has a very humanistic element (which Gen 1 definately had!) which is lacking in TF-dom.

Going back to what Windy said on another thread - Do you think it's down to the quality of the Techspecs?

Joe has (again up until recently...) very well documented and accessable filecards. Something you can really read and enjoy, and establish some sort of relationship with the character/ troop builder. Does TF have that anymore?

10-31-2011, 05:10 PM
Starscreams_Ghost Wrote:I just don't have much to talk about on here, but it's home, and it always will be.

Quoted for truth.

[center][Image: kinggrimlock1.jpg][/center]
10-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Yeah as have loads of them, just they got watermarked when I ran a recent thumbnail script.

If you click the "more smilies" you'll see them.
I need to get back to doing some really
10-31-2011, 09:07 PM
I think that Rollout/Rollcall is gonna or at the very least should be an important new start for everyone. I'm getting a real sense of 'buzz' about it. Furman and Hama in a room together...

There was some speculation on HiSStank about 'What if Larry wrote a Transformers Story?'

I'd love to put those questions to Furman and Hama - if they had to 'swap universes' what would they write?

11-01-2011, 12:32 AM
This year has been odd for us. Work and me moving out, so we haven't had any time to work on the site, which has been saddening. I still don't know fuly what is going on with me yet, but hopefully late November and December I can get back into more contents

Joe @ The Moon will happen next year, as we've picked up a lot more joes this year and just saw a few clips on the DIC series.

V9 improves the moon, I don't like the look anymore on that, but it's better then what we have now to highlight the different areas and especially on how the image galleries work.

Transformers is at a strange point now. The original fans are getting older, many are dropping out. The movies have ended, so the future is uncertain. Yes there is TF Prime (which I like) but when you compare it to Thundercats there is no comparison. The later is far better.

Will there be more live action movies .. I think there will, but not for a while. Love them of hate them they have change TFs for ever. The games from High Moon have added a new area for story telling, which will be interesting.

Toy wise, the plastic and paint quality on TFs is going down, reducing the cost so they can make more. When you compare them to GI Joe 25th/20th anniversary, MOTU Classics or Hot Toys, TF really are bottom of the pile on quality, which is a shame.

[Image: logo.jpg]
Transformers Resource
11-01-2011, 07:18 AM
In my head I'm drawing a lot of parallels with Starwars; and how when the franchise seemed to 'lose it's soul' many of us drifted away...

Am really looking forward to J@TM - something I've been pushing for for some considerable time, but can we be an effective Joe fanbase without Hasbro UK actually releasing a consistant and supported line of Joe Toys here in the UK? Is there enough Joe-love in the UK to warrent the site (bearing in mind that there are only 4 or 5 of us regularly posting here at the moment - and TF is a muuuch more supported brand!) and if not can we do anything to change that?

11-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Sunstreaker Wrote: and if not can we do anything to change that?

trying my best over at FMH but it's a uphill struggle, it's a shame that you never came back really at least I'd have one person reading my reviews other than Minionion!

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.