Saké Comments - Flames of War

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Flames of War
11-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Flames of War
Mentioned a little while ago about my Flames of War stuff... 15mm WWII figs that you need to collect, assemble and paint. Said to Ghosty that I would post up pics of my painted stuff, so here goes!

Been looking for ages for something that was of Games Workshop quality, that had longevity, but didn't make me feel like I was supporting Al Qaeda. Flames of War is (relatively) cheap - lots of free army lists on their internet sight, and (unlike Workshop) there's no way they're going to re-write History, and make my armies wrong in 6 months time...

[Image: newstreakersig11.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Re: Flames of War
Lets start off with some Armour...

I'm currently collecting both Wehrmacht and Waffen SS German forces (Next big purchase when I finish my Sperrverband will be Fallschirmjaeger... giving me access to Luftwaffe forces as well!) and both the Wehrmacht and Waffen used these bad boys in spades.

[Image: FOWPantherIVs1.JPG]
Here's a platoon and a HQ of Panzer IV's - the workhorse of the German Panzer Divisions during 1944. Lovely little tank, although the side armour or Schurchen are a bugger to attach correctly. If you look closely, two have the Schurchen attached correctly with support struts and supports... the rest are just glued to the side...
[Image: FOWPantherIVs2.JPG]

I've not added Numbers or squad markings yet, as I'm currently fielding them in about 6 different army lists.

11-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Whilst not a Tank as such, the STuG Assault Gun saw as much play as the Panzer IV... and the stats in play are nigh identical (STuG has slightly better armour, Panzer IV has a wider arc of fire thanks to the turret...)
[Image: FOWSTuG2.JPG]

The STuG's where the first thing I picked up for my Germans as you get two in the 'Open Fire' Quick Start set (a pocket version of the rules and a small Yank and German force to get your teeth into - really cheap). First half dozen or so games me and my buddy played, the American forces (three Shermans) were outclassed again and again by the sexy little STuG. Love the low profile as well...

11-23-2009, 12:07 AM
The Panzer IV and the STuG's are impressive... but when you start looking at the 'Big Cats' you can see how badly outclassed the Allies were throughout the tail end of the war.
[Image: FOWPanthers1.JPG]

Heres a platoon of 5 Panthers and Ernst Barkman. This could actually be fielded as a 1300pt army...

[Image: FOWPanthers2.JPG]

11-23-2009, 12:12 AM
A close up on Ernst Barkman.
[Image: FOWBarkman1.JPG]

In each of the Army Books, FOW like to detail actual Officers who participated in key battles during the War, and give you the opportunity to field them. Barkman was a Waffen SS Panther Ace, who had a tendancy to keep his tank running even after taking a pasting. The model comes with an Objective token that represents his Panther Repair Crew. Apologies for the glossy finish. I sprayed with Gloss varnish instead of Matt... it's not that bad in real life...

11-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Some Panthers were fitted exclusively as Tank-Hunters, with a lowered profile and a hull mounted Anti-Tank gun - These are the Jagdpanthers

[Image: FOWJagdpanther1.JPG]

[Image: FOWJagdpanther2.JPG]

These bad boys are very sexy. Only have the one, but will push to a platoon of 3.... maybe even puch for a full Jagdpantherkompanie, since the rules have been posted on the FOW site. They're a bit more pricey than the other tanks, as each comes with a resin building (the nice ruined farmhouse at the back of most of my pics!)

11-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Now the really big boys! Nothing scarier than a Tiger tank... except maybe the Konigstiger... but I don't have any of those yet...

[Image: FOWTigers1.JPG]

Big, scary armoured beasts. This is a legal fully playable 1750pt army.

[Image: FOWTigers2.JPG]

Each of these is about the size of two Shermans...

11-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Will add more tomorrow - including infantry and support weapons!

11-23-2009, 07:21 AM
The Waffen SS! These are painted as 2.SS Panzergrenadierdivision 'Das Reich' in SS Camo. Squads all equipped with 3 ton Opel Blitz trucks to keep pace with the Panzers and to mount rapid infantry assaults. Fearless Veterans all!

[Image: FOWSSPanzerGrenadiers1.JPG]

Minimum 2 platoons in a Company;

[Image: FOWSSPanzerGrenadiers2.JPG]

and here's a close up on one platoon. 2 Teams to a Squad, between 2 and 3 Squads to a platoon, plus command team.

[Image: FOWSSPanzerGrenadiers3.JPG]

The Boys on the move!

11-23-2009, 07:25 AM
The Waffen SS 'Das Reich' Command Group.

[Image: FOWSSCommand1.JPG]

Guys at the front are the Company Commander and his 2iC. Panzerknacker support option behind, along with three cars.

In the centre are three Sniper teams.

11-23-2009, 09:58 AM
thanks for the pics streaky

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
11-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Very cool.

[Image: hamstarcustoms2.jpg]
HamStar Customs - Mighty Muggs, Vinyl & More.
Not currently accepting commissions, will update when open for orders again.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Liking this a lot 'Streaky.

[center][Image: kinggrimlock1.jpg][/center]
11-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Cheers guys! Am very pleased with the series - obviously mainly just German stuff (I've got a few Yanks from the starter set I beefed up as well) but I'll see if I can't photograph Chris' Ruskies when we next play. Maybe get a few in game shots.

Still got a fair few to post up as well!

11-23-2009, 07:21 PM
More Waffen SS.

[Image: FOWSSHMG1.JPG]

This is a Heavy Machine Gun Platoon. Again equiped with Opel Blitz's to keep pace with the Panzergrenadiers. Set these up right and they just burn through infantry. 6 shots each, Hitting on 3's 'cause the Waffen are so good. All infantry get a 3 up cover save, but with 24 shots coming at them that doesn't hold up for long. Even better, if assaulted you get to shoot before the enemy hits you... nothing funnier than watching Russian Infantry assault Machine Gun Nests...

[Image: FOWSSPak40s1.JPG]

Here are the SS PaK40's - Anti-Tank guns, again towed by Opel Blitz's so as to be able to operate with Panzergrenadiers. Not so effective against Infantry, but to see these bad boys burn through a Company of T38's is awe inspiring. I have some more crewed by normal Wehrmacht troops as well, but you'll see those later.

[Image: FOWSSPAK40s2.JPG]

Close up on the PaKs.