Saké Comments - How much have my coding projects over the last 10 years cost

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How much have my coding projects over the last 10 years cost
06-04-2010, 10:36 AM
How much have my coding projects over the last 10 years cost
I decided, for fun, to run sloccount over some of my code bases to get a rough idea of the development time / cost that it thinks it would take

Now I currently have two development bases an old one that was started around 2002 and is still being built on and a new one created about a year ago that I am slowly migrating all of my projects over to.

So here are the figures, all using the default switches so cost is based on an average salary = $56,286/year which they took from a poll in 2000 I think.

Code base 1 as a multi-project (excludes some libraries)
Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC) = 255,688
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months) = 2.15 (25.85)
Total Estimated Cost to Develop = $ 8,731,954

Code Base 1 - Single project (includes missing liabries)
Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC) = 271,154
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months) = 2.72 (32.60)
Total Estimated Cost to Develop = $ 9,694,344

Code Base 2 - Multi-project
Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC) = 221,306
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months) = 2.08 (24.90)
Total Estimated Cost to Develop = $ 7,463,963

Code Base 2 - Single project
Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC) = 221,306
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months) = 2.51 (30.07)
Total Estimated Cost to Develop = $ 7,832,213

So $17.5 million over just over 5 years of development. They all gave an estimate on the number of developers as 23.

What does this all mean? Not a lot TBH, just that over the last 10 years I've written a lot of code and that my new code base is almost as big as the old one even though its no where near being finished but is a hell of a lot more efficient and faster. Oh and no, none of the main Transformers sites we run work of the new code yet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Re: How much have my coding projects over the last 10 years cost
While the numbers and tech talk baffle me it sounds huge. And expensive. That scares me.

[center][Image: kinggrimlock1.jpg][/center]
06-04-2010, 10:30 PM
so, does this mean if you had written this code for a job for someone, you would have earned 17 mill?
and what is the codes used for if not the main tf sites if i might ask? not snooping, just curious. i nothing of coding or computers apart from how to get here and ebay. ohh my daughter showed me some html programming sites some schools use once. was like learning french again. :oops: :lol:

[Image: images-1.jpg]

IM NOT MAD, IM LOVEABLE!!
06-05-2010, 12:54 PM
KingGrimlock Wrote:While the numbers and tech talk baffle me it sounds huge. And expensive. That scares me.

Ditto

See, the bright light... it ain't heaven, son. It's just a muzzle flare

[Image: gruff1.jpg]
06-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Behold Statistic-or and the amazing power of statistics!

We need graphs! Wink

[Image: hamstarcustoms2.jpg]
HamStar Customs - Mighty Muggs, Vinyl & More.
Not currently accepting commissions, will update when open for orders again.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2010, 04:06 PM
minion Wrote:Behold Statistic-or and the amazing power of statistics!

We need graphs!

You mean like [Image: 9WpnPc]

GALVY Wrote:so, does this mean if you had written this code for a job for someone, you would have earned 17 mill?
and what is the codes used for if not the main tf sites if i might ask? not snooping, just curious. i nothing of coding or computers apart from how to get here and ebay. ohh my daughter showed me some html programming sites some schools use once. was like learning french again. :oops: :lol:

Its not particularly accurate, but based on how the people that wrote that program to work things out yes, there was enough code to cost 17 million (paying all 26 developers about $56k US a year). Granted the figures for the lines of code are also a bit out as I have some symlinks (think shortcuts) which means some code will be counted two, three or four times (for instance the message boards) and I of coruse only wrote about 50 lines of code for the boards.

What are the codes used for if not the main TF sites, good question. Basically all of the other sites that I've written over the last ten years some still live some dead. Lets take a peak

Repository 1
Moonbugs person site (now dead)
Lucky Draw Transformers
MonsterMunchMunchers.com (now dead)
Trans-Europe Express site (a european transformers group and 100% automated site, my first one of those, now dead though I may still own the domain)
The Visionaries.net - broken
Transformers Animated
Transformers At The Moon
Transformers Hybrids (about three files, may or maynot be dead but was never really anything)

Repository 2
London 2010 website - under construction
AFA Transformers - live, 100% automated
GIJoe Movie 2 site - dead
Hertfordshire School of Rock - contracted work for a friend
Power Core Combiners - live
Project Rock Education - Part of Hert School of Rock
My person site
My 2nd personal site / wiki - dead
Street Sweeper Social Club Site - 100% automated will be dead in a week or two if not already
Transformers-Prime.com - Alive but under construction
TF At The Moon rebuild - under construction but will be the code to replace the current site
Visionaries - rebuild of the visionaries site, not live

I also have code left that was used for "TalentBomb" as contracted site I built several years ago. Think "Hot or not" style of site. Realm 11, this was a website to go with a TV show / tie-ins for which Moonbug and I were part of the "think tank" many moons ago. It was my first "contract" job.

Other than that there are a various version of different modules such as connecting to ebay, parsing and validating emails before using the content to build news stories on websites, RSS feed generation. There is also an RFC for something I wrote for TFAuctions back when they started and people didn't have the guy.

Oh and postcode database interaction, database backup and offsite scripts (yes even with my history of breaking them)
06-06-2010, 09:53 PM
that looks like alot of work for just one/two? ppl . do you have any skin left on your fingers? you must look at a screen most of your waking hours.

which site do you guys rate as your best work? and why? ooohhhh, scary questions. :lol: Smile

06-06-2010, 09:57 PM
GALVY Wrote:that looks like alot of work for just one/two? ppl . do you have any skin left on your fingers? you must look at a screen most of your waking hours.

which site do you guys rate as your best work? and why? ooohhhh, scary questions. :lol: Smile

There are two of them that we know of. It's possible that there are many more of them we've simply lost track of...

[Image: tlasignature.jpg]
06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
but if steve and dave fell into a time portal and caused a paradox that sent both to 1987 , and then they , hang on. sorry , like anyone could get lucky enough to go back to 87. imagine the toys they could bring back....... Wink

06-08-2010, 12:49 PM
There are two of us that run the site though all of the coding and development is done by myself (Steve) as Dave doesn't know any of it *shakes fist*, I keep trying to get him to learn. So Dave tends to do the photographing and galleries.

We use to share news posts, but now it tends to be me or the site itself (I wrote several automated scripts to ease some of the administration, for example the trademark stuff is completely automated from checking for new entries, updating the status updates and posting the news). Syndicating news to Twitter and Facebook are also automated as is the In The News page.

I tend to look at a screen pretty much from half 7 in the morning through 10/11 at night with about 2 or 3 hours gap during the day.

Best work, hmm its a tough one.
Animated was the best one in terms of search engine optimisation and instance growth, it was getting over double the traffic of Transformers At The Moon within 1 month of the show airing and was the first site to have re-drawn graphics by us. We both suck with images which is why most of our sites don't use many.

I was quite proud of the Trans-Europe Express site as it was completely automated with news updates coming via a Yahoo Group mailing list that I sent the incoming mail into a PHP script to parse and validate it (several forms of validation to get around spam and spoofing) and update the site. It was also my first multi-language site.

Overall coding work is stuff I have done for my current employer that could spawn off background child processes and increased performance of one part of the system by about 6000%.

On a site overall side, probably the new version of Transformers At The Moon (under development) and maybe some of the version 7 code (we're not on version 8) as that had the members area.

The new one is much more stable, uses a lot less resources, is built from the base up to allow it to be distributed easier across multiple servers to spread the load. Its got some of our cleanest HTML and CSS, so either no or very few tables, a pure CSS drop-down menu navigation system, proper tagging, some nifty AJAX and client side caching to speed up a few bits and some other stuff you'll just have to wait for Tongue

It should, unless I get impatient, see the return of the members area to the website for more user-generated content.

The thing is when ever I start a new code base I always prefer that to the old one, then after 6 months or a year I end up hating it and wanting to start again. I've managed to keep pretty much one for 7/8 years though it has been heavily changed but it was really annoying me to the point that the reason the members area never returned after I broke it was I couldn't bring myself to re-do it in that style of coding.

My current job has taught me a lot more about writing applications and services for extreme amounts of traffic, so when I look at some of the older stuff I@ve done I cringe at the resources it using and the limitations it has.
06-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Quartz Wrote:There are two of us that run the site though all of the coding and development is done by myself (Steve) as Dave doesn't know any of it *shakes fist*, I keep trying to get him to learn. So Dave tends to do the photographing and galleries.

Dave takes credit for the site without doing any real work. Genius. Wink

06-08-2010, 07:04 PM
minion Wrote:Dave takes credit for the site without doing any real work. Genius. Wink
Not silly is he.

Its also me doing all the email replied again now. Dave use to answer them more 70-30 then it was 50-50, 40-60 and now I'm going 95-5% of the email responses as well. But granted its because he's rarely not at work.

So its pretty much a 1 man show, though Dave does do a lot of the playing around with CSS for possible layouts when we start coming up with new sites, then its left to me to "build it". But then that's what I do, write code.
06-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Yep I sit on my arse all day.

I've had less and less involvement in the sites, hence the lack of gallery updates, and my news posting / board posting has gone. All of which is down to work (doing 12 hour days does that). Hopefully things will improve when my super new flunky starts (teeheehee). I'm also out most weekends now with the GF, so Steve gets lumbered with it.

I'd love to take half of the coding, but it's far beyond my skill set, so I just stick to CSS, layouts and testing when I am around.

[Image: logo.jpg]
Transformers Resource
06-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Not long now Dave, maybe then your super new flunky will be able to preach coding concepts to you on journeys, or not Wink
06-15-2010, 05:19 PM
I heard Dave was going to make his new flunky his bitch. I feel sorry for that poor schmuck...