Saké Comments - IDW Transformers Comic Discussion - Spoilers Within

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
IDW Transformers Comic Discussion - Spoilers Within
06-30-2010, 05:54 PM
IDW Transformers Comic Discussion - Spoilers Within
Is anyone here readying IDW's G1 ongoing series?

Was asking because we're onto what? issue 8 now? The first 6 I thought were quite good and followed on well from AHM but the art seems to have changed, a lot of stuff seen in the spotlights/infiltra/devesta/escalation and Stormbringer seems to have been forgotten. Last Stand Of The Wreckers was quite good but left a huge plot hole gaping open.
Another major bug for me is the amount of characters that seem to be killed off almost as soon as they make an appearance. G1 isnt endless and neither is G2, introducing Japanese and European exclusive characters would be a way to keep it going but the casualty rate is shocking for such an earl start in my opinion.

What does everyone else think?

See, the bright light... it ain't heaven, son. It's just a muzzle flare

[Image: gruff1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Re: IDW Ongoing Series
Although it's been a bit slow paced, I'm still enjoying it. I wasn't too keen on the last issue however where they showed that a human can kill a Transformer with a little effort. Too much human in it, not enough giant robots.

360 MiniCons and counting.
[Image: serious.jpg]
Click the pic to visit my site.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-30-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm reviewing all these for the podcast so I've spent way too much time with them all :lol:

Wreckers- Awesome, brilliantly self contained while also offering paths for new stories and dragging in ties from old. One of the best TF stories ever and one of the best comics of the year so far imo.
Ironhide - Wonderfully mysterious, a great last hurrah for Coller in terms of art but it'll all come down to how the next issue pans out.
Bumblebee - Dire, utterly rotten to the core, broken beyond belief and one of, if not the worst Transformers comics of the modern age.
Ongoing - Slow burning, 1-6 had problems but most *seemed* to be due to picking up the pieces from AHM, though 7 & 8 have dampened my enthusiasm massively. Still have high hopes.

In a nutshell. :lol:

[center][Image: kinggrimlock1.jpg][/center]
07-01-2010, 06:57 AM
The new ongoing has had signs of awesomeness, but it's not really shone through yet. Swindle was (as always) amazing, and it was fun to see a new combiner. The recent Decepticon issue was really good (poor art aside).
There are loads of problems with it though, the first 6 issues of horrible TF designs (those faces!!!), a story so slow it makes a Bendis story seem rushed, and generally terrible character protrayal (Magnus?!?!?!?).
I like that they're trying something different, and i've not intent of dropping the title from my pullbox, but am I excited to get it each month? - hells no.

The Ironhide mini is fun and reminiscent of the Spotlights, but it's early days. Issue 3 should be interesting after the issue 2 reveal.

The Bumblebee mini was average and filler. The story really should have been included in the first 6 issues story arc, but god forbid they stretch that out any further.

Wreckers was susprisingly fun. I didn't like the first few issues, but it picked up. The art was inconsistent, and poor from a story telling point of view, and often left me feeling like i'd missed something. This was especially noticeable between issues. The story was old school fun though, and I even gave a **** about Springer by the end which was a first.

[Image: hamstarcustoms2.jpg]
HamStar Customs - Mighty Muggs, Vinyl & More.
Not currently accepting commissions, will update when open for orders again.
07-01-2010, 09:53 AM
I've read Last Stand of the Wreckers recently on my PSP after all the high praise for it. Its the first Transformers comic I've read since G1 back in the 80's! I've thoroughly enjoyed it all so far.

My favourite moment is still this:
[Image: LastStandoftheWreckers3-Wreckerscombine.jpg]

[Image: phantomfish2.jpg]
07-03-2010, 10:39 AM
phantomfish Wrote:I've read Last Stand of the Wreckers recently on my PSP after all the high praise for it. Its the first Transformers comic I've read since G1 back in the 80's! I've thoroughly enjoyed it all so far.

My favourite moment is still this:
[Image: LastStandoftheWreckers3-Wreckerscombine.jpg]

That was an awesome panel and actually made me laugh out loud.

Picked up the IDW Collection vol.1 cheap the other day. I already have most of the trades, but it fills in the missing gaps, and it's such a nice book. Got to love hard covers.
Of course thwe down side is that now i'll have to get the next volume too...

[Image: hamstarcustoms2.jpg]
HamStar Customs - Mighty Muggs, Vinyl & More.
Not currently accepting commissions, will update when open for orders again.
07-04-2010, 10:01 PM
the ongoing series isnt grabbing me the way the mini-series titles did. art wise they are great , story wise, very slow. not that the story is bad, it just needs a bit of a jolt now and then to keep the interest going. i mean, we went from hot rod to rodimus to rodimus prime without much fuss. needed a bit more . maybe theres too many plots opened at the mo and idw are struggling to keep up so they need to slow the pace to find themselves again.

3 things that must happen though

1. megatron must get his hands on overlord.
2. keep hotrodimusprime (lol) away from the matrix. yeah, got a bad feeling about this...
3. bring back nemesis prime.

thats my wish list anyhow :?

[Image: images-1.jpg]

IM NOT MAD, IM LOVEABLE!!
07-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Hopefully there's gonna be another big epic storyline seeing as how Galvatron returned in AHM 16(?) with a legion of Sweeps. Prime and the humans in an alliance perhaps leading to the construction of Autobot City? WHERE IS GRIMLOCK??? And what is Metroplex guarding?

07-07-2010, 07:38 PM
People think that Metroplex is in the current Ironhide series.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
07-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Phill Wrote:People think that Metroplex is in the current Ironhide series.

Having read and reviewed #3 I can neither confirm nor deny this. I know, if it is him, what he has been guarding and it would make sense that it is him.

07-16-2010, 04:38 AM
I've completely lost interest in this one.

I am enjoying the Ironhide mini-series though Smile

The Central Canada Comic Con 2010
Oct 29, 30 & 31
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cccomiccon.com">www.cccomiccon.com</a><!-- w -->
Ray Park, Orli Shoshan, Alex Milne, Norm Breyfogle and more!
09-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Ok Metroplex solved, that little groups purpose? not a freakin clue!

Where is Grimlock?

Where is Galvatron?

Why are 4 of the Combaticons working for North Korea?

How the hell is Kup a pretender?

Are there more Cybertronians in the Expansion?

What happened to the naughty little teaser hinting at the Quintessons?

09-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Gruff Wrote:Ok Metroplex solved, that little groups purpose? not a freakin clue!

1)Where is Grimlock?

2)Where is Galvatron?

3)Why are 4 of the Combaticons working for North Korea?

4)How the hell is Kup a pretender?

5)Are there more Cybertronians in the Expansion?

6)What happened to the naughty little teaser hinting at the Quintessons?

1) Impactor and Guzzle have gone after him.
2) He'll be back 'later' in the series
3) Who knows.... not the best story device ever
4) Spotlight Kup, Prowl's stolen Pretender technology, All Hail Megatron #15
5) Who knows, I reckon that's a dead run.
6) The one from the Club comic? Hopefully will be picked up again.

09-03-2010, 05:27 AM
The Quints were teased in the Spotlight Wheelie issue.

From the notes released about that issue it's been implied that the alter with the Quint on it was cracking as if something was coming out of it. It's also been stated that Wheelie MAY take place in the future, however the fact that Prime in his Spotlight heard part of Wheelie's distress call contradicts that.

09-05-2010, 11:46 AM
I thought Impactor was just jetting off into deep space and Guzzle was tagging along for the ride, nothing more nothing less? And maybe i'm being a little dense but I know what issue but still dont understand how Kup is a pretender!